Gliding with the currents, watching the big pelagic fish move seemingly effortlessly up current, feeling the rush of flying underwater, is what drift diving is all about. During your PADI Drift Diver Specialty Course, you’ll go on 2 open water scuba divers which may be conducted in 1 day.
We highly recommended that you enroll in this programme on a live aboard or at a resort destination where there are strong and predictable currents so that you can expose yourself to the techniques and procedures for drift diving.
Topics covered include:
- The planning, organization, problems and hazards of drift diving;
- Special equipment- floats, lines, reels;
- Proper procedures for buoyancy-control, navigation and communication;
- Site selection and an overview of aquatic currents causes and effects;
- Techniques for staying close to a buddy or together as a group.
The elective drift dive from the Adventures in diving programme may be counted towards this specialty. If you’re a PADI (Junior) Open Water Diver or equivalent who is at least 12 years old, you can enroll in the Drift Diver Specialty Course.